1. Portion Control. The best way to make sure you have the correct portion is by measuring but sometimes that is not possible so here is some other ways
Use your hand to Estimate
Fist = 1 cup or 1 medium whole fruit
Thumb(tip to base) = 1 ounce of meat or cheese
Thumb tip(tip to 1st joint) = 1 tablespoon
Fingertip(tip to 1st joint) = 1 teaspoon
Index finger(1st to 2nd joint) = 1 inch
Cupped hand = 1-2 ounces of nuts or pretzels
Palm(minus fingers)= 3 ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry
Use the Plate method
Divide your plate into quarters. Fill 1/4 with a grain based side dish, 1/4 with a protein source and the remaining 1/2 with 0-1 Point vegetables and/or fruit
2. 5 servings of Fruits and Vegetables: For leafy vegetables like lettuce and spinach one serving is 1 cup; for all other fruits and vegetables 1/2 cup is a serving.
3. 2 or 3 servings of Milk and or Milk products.
4. Make Whole grains part of your new lifestyle
5. Make sure you get enough protein. Have one to two servings of protein besides your milk servings
6. Go light on Fats, Added Sugar, Alcohol
7. Get at least six – eight glasses a day of water.